7 species in the USA & Canada.
Carapace Patterns compared to drawings in Valerio, 1981 (1)
Carapace Patterns and leg qualities compared to specimens on BOLDSYSTEMS.org website species pages (updated:2017) (see Internet References below)
(spotted or ringed legs, with darker joints)
(clear legs, with darker joints)
(spotted, splotched or ringed legs, with darker joints)
(long-thin stripes on legs, with dark joints)
(clear legs, males have modified fore-legs, with two rows of spines)
S. atlacoya - TX (from the Texas Spider List, linked below)
S. dorothea - USA, (CO, TX that I'm sure of)
S. longipes - Pantropical
S. lugubris - Pantropical
- Eastern States and adjacent Canada to Indiana (2)
- TX to CA (2)
S. zapatana - USA
~ Texas Spider List
- List of species found in Texas.
- Spiders From the Southwestern United States with Descriptions of New Species, Gertsch, 1935.
~ Possible Scytodes lugubris by Pen Araneae on Flickr
~ Comparative Biology of cave-dwelling Spitting Spiders
- 2011 Article with images and information about this genus.
~ BOLDSYSTEMS page for the genus Scytodes
- These are specimens verified by DNA testing.