Synonyms and other taxonomic changes
First described in 1837 by Carl Ludwig Koch
Explanation of Names
From Greek thanatos (θανατος)- "death"
7 species in bugguide's range.
T. altimontis - Northern Pacific Coast & Rocky Mountain states southward into desert areas of CA & AZ. - Schick, 1965.
- Maine and adjacent Canada west through the Northern States to the Rockies and the Pacific Coast States and to Alaska. (1)
- New England southwest to Alabama and west to the Pacific. All of Canada and Alaska. (1)
- New England and adjacent Canada west across the Northern States to the Pacific Coast States and to Alaska.(1)
- Ohio south to Georgia and west to Idaho, and also California. (1)
- Images of Thanatus arcticus & Thanatus striatus.
- Image of T. coloradensis by Rod Crawford.
~ Übersicht des Arachnidensystems, v.1, p.28
- Koch's original description of the species (in German)